The Theatre in Boston

Walter Hampden in "Hamlet."

The spirit of the Parisian Latin Quarter came to Boston last night, when the revival of Paul M. Potter's celebrated "Trilby" was shown at the Shubert Theatre. The fact that the cast is an all-star one and that the play went through a highly successful season last year should in itself prove attractive to the ordinary college theatre goer. Aside from all that, however, "Trilby" is remarkably forceful in every way. The setting is admirably effective, the parts without exception well taken.

Trilby, as impersonated by Miss Neilson-Terry, is such a one as lovers of Du Maurier's tale have imagined the real Trilby to be. Clothed in garments well suited to acentuate her statuesque beauty she moves through the piece, at times merry, and mischievous, at times pitifully sad. And in the scene, where under the influence of Svengali she sings "Sweet Alice Ben Bolt" her voice won the hearts of the audience even as that of Du Maurier's heroine won the hearts of the audience he describes.

Alexander McAlister, as "The Laird," was a jovial Scot with a ruddy face and flaming beard. The "Taffy" of Talbot Wynne, the "Little Billee" of William Bagot and the "Zou-Zou" of Ignacio Martinette were all adequately played.

The only member of the original cast was Robert Paton Gibbs, who acted his old role of Gecko in a thoroughly convincing way. The minor roles were all adequately presented by a highly competent cast.

Greatest of all in the way of acting, however, was the "Svengali" of Lyn Harding. His personality was the dominant note throughout the play and his impersonation of the malevolent hypnotist was an admirably powerful one. There were times, perhaps, when the effectiveness of his presence was marred by the mechanism of the stage. The occasional use of a green light upon his features, for instance, detracted rather than added to the force of several otherwise highly dramatic scenes.

The play is frankly impressionistic in places, strongly melodramatic in others. Yet the impressionism is usually well done, and the melodrama seldom overplayed. "Trilby," as an evening's entertainment, well acted, well staged, and well produced, is decidedly worth while.