PROF, FOERSTER BELIEVES IMMIGRATION BENEFICIAL

Predicts the Coming to This Country of More French, Belgians and Germans.

"It is a grave mistake to prohibit entirely immigration to the United States," was the recent declaration of Professor Robert F. Foerster '06, assistant professor of Social Ethics in the University, whose book on "The Italian Emigration of Our Time" has just been published by the University Press.

Professor Foerster is strongly opposed to the bill now before Congress which would exclude all immigrants for a period of two years. He feels that a policy of restriction is far better than one of exclusion.

"It is wholesome for the United States to admit a certain class of foreigners," he continued. Professor Foerster is sure that the objectionable class of aliens could be stopped at the ports of entry or even ejected after two or three years' residence in this country. He pointed out that this method of dealing with the immigration problem is possible under the existing laws.

"Unrest Not Caused by Anarchism."

Profesor Foerster is one of the many students of the labor situation who believe that the present unrest is not caused primarily by the anarchy of the radical elements, either here or in Europe. "Strikes are now more prevalent in America and abroad than at any other period of modern history. They are not, however, due to the utterances of some long-haired European radical, but are caused by two entirely different factors. The first is the increasing pressure of the cost of living, which results in an unrest among the workingmen. The second is the growing feeling among the laboring class that labor is indispensable, and, therefore, can demand greater wages."

Asked as to the result of the war on immigration to the United States. Professor Foerster replied that no marked increase has as yet been noted. Before the war, approximately 1,000,000 immigrants a year were entering the United States. In concluding, he prophesied that within a period of two to five years America will again see a large stream of immigration towards her shores, made up of more French, Belgians and Germans, and less Russian Jews and other Slavs.