MORE MILITARY ACTIVITIES RECOMMENDED BY COMMITTEE

FAVOR UNIVERSAL TRAINING

High praise of the attitude of the University throughout the war, under the leadership of President Lowell, and strong emphasis on the importance of bearing in mind the military lessons of the war, are the keynotes of the report of the Committee on Military Science and Tactics to the Board of Overseers of the University which has just been made public.

The committee which submits the report is composed of Langdon P. Marvin '98, chairman; Major-General Leonard Wood, M. D., '84; Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin D. Roosevelt '03, Eliot Wadsworth '98, joint chairman of the Harvard Endowment Fund Committee; Arthur Woods '92, formerly Police Commissioner of New York city, and recently assistant to the Secretary of War; Henry S. Drinker, President of Lehigh University; Ira N. Hollis, Hon. A. M. '99; Samuel D. Parker '91, George Baty Blake '93, Amos Tuck French '80, George C. Shattuck '01, Alexander Whiteside '95, Grenville Clark '03.

"In the opinion of this committee," the report concludes, "the attitude of the University, under the leadership of President Lowell, throughout the war has been beyond reproach, and the University has met every demand and every test successfully. It follows also that the plans for the future are being sanely, calmly and intelligently worked out under President Lowell." After summarizing the progress of military instruction at Harvard during the war under the Harvard R. O. T. C., and the Student Army Training Corps, the Naval S. A. T. C. and the U. S. Naval Radio School, the report reviews the record of Harvard men who took part in the war.

The committee then passes to a discussion of Harvard's future military policy, making the following recommendations:

1. That in addition to the artillery course already arranged, infantry and naval courses of instruction be given.

2. That a broad course in military history and policy by an experienced officer of acknowledged pre-eminence be established.

3. That as soon as funds can be found available a drill hall and armory in connection with a gymnasium be constructed on Soldiers Field.

4. That a special committee of the board be appointed to confer with the special committee appointed by the Corporation and with such Harvard graduates and bodies as may take the matter under consideration with respect to the prompt establishment of adequate memorial to the Harvard men who have died in the war.

5. That the University further by its example and inspiration the establishment of a system of universal service throughout the nation