A REAL ANSWER.

A classic in terseness and biting sarcasm is President Lowell's letter to Professor Franz Keibel of the University of Koenigsberg. The latter is answered in a tone which ought to be applied to many more Germans and to the German Government itself; "If you can prove to me that you protested against the burning of the Library at Louvain, and that you endeavored to secure protection and that you endeavored to secure protection and such treatment as you now request for the professors of the universities in the Belgian and French territory occupied by the Germans, then I will exert any influence that I may possess to procure the return of your personal property."

What subtle irony! What an efficient pricking of the German sympathy bubble! Our sentimental friends who plead for pity on "poor bleeding Germany" should read this letter. The memory of Louvain called up here so vividly would perhaps deter them from their path of mercy.

Germany is not yet dead, and the sooner everyone realizes it the better. By just such tactics, by playing on the sympathy of "soft" American hearts will she, unless sternly checked, win back little by little that power which cost so many lives. Only a few weeks ago. It was reported that Von Hindenburg addressed a tremendous gathering on the necessity of concentrating attention on the next "test of strength." While the rest of the world is playing and striking, Germany is working and whining her way into power--a dangerous omen for the future.