FOR BROADER EDUCATION.

The plan instituted two years ago for broadening thought within the College has proved itself a success. The discussion group system has spared many undergraduates the mistake of totally burying themselves in their own activities; for while the region between the Peabody Museum and the Stadium holds for the Harvard student perhaps more life and interest than any other spot, it unfortunately covers but a small area.

Interchange of ideas is fundamental to a broad education, and the ordinary course at college does not supply that need. It must be left to the individual. Students are so used to having the fruits of learning passed them on a silver platter, that they often forget the necessity of enlarging their mental outlook by private thought and serious discussion.

The present discussion groups, started with more or less formal organization, appear to have given birth to several smaller bodies for closer analysis and greater freedom of expression. For spontaneity is the life of such gatherings, and only when each man can contribute the fullness of his personality will the greatest benefits be realized.