NOTED SPEAKER AT GRADUATE SCHOOLS SOCIETY MEETING

RESEARCH PROGRAM OUTLINED

Several speakers of note addressed the Graduate Schools Society of Phillips Brooks House Association at the banquet held after the informal "get-together."

Previous to the speeches entertainment was furnished by Professor P. D. Rice of the Leland Powers School of the Spoken Word, and Mr. C. E. Kany 3G., concert pianist. Prof. Rice gave an interpretative and sympathetic rendering of Sir James Barry's one-act comedy "The New World."

Investigation of Current Topics

Follwing a few remarks by Mr. C. D. Kepner, Jr., Secretary of the Society, a resolution was passed; "Resolved, that the Graduate Schools Society as a Society take steps towards making known the results of this investigation,"

This was interpreted to mean that any member of the Graduate Schools who is already qualified to report to the Society or to forums and meetings in Boston or in the surrounding towns concerning any problem of decided contemporary interest, should make known this fact, and that other members of the society, willing to assist in investigations, should volunteer for the purpose.

By this Lieans the Society aims to carry our its investigations with a thoroughness which has never been attained be fore, and to enlist all the abilities of the Society in this work.

Dean Donham on Business School

Dean W. B. Donham of the College of Business Administration spoke briefly on the functions of a modern business school. He laid especial emphasis upon the need of scientific research and high professional ethics in the business world of the future. Mr. J. E. Harley, chairman of the Executive Council of the Society and toastmaster of the evening, called upon one of the guests, Dean Fenn of the Harvard Divinity school, for a few remarks. Dean Fenn responded by a few words of confidence in "young men" as the protectors of the present civilization.

Fish on Industrial Situation

The principal speaker of the evening was Mr. Frederick P. Fish '75, Chairman National Industrial Conference Board. Mr. Fish gave an interesting history of the events leading up to the present critical situation in the industrial life of the national and to the calling of the National Industrial Conference at Washington, of which he was a member. Explaining the attitude of the employers, Mr. Fish contended that the conference broke up because the labor group was unwilling to allow the employees generally to choose the agency through which they might deal with their employers, but insisted in substance that only the trade and labor unions should be recognized, thus excluding the shop committees. The employers, on the other hand, were willing to admit the principle of collective bargaining, leaving to the employees in each instance the right in choose the agency by which they should be represented. Concerning the public group, Mr. Fish contended that these gentlemen compromised the situation, fearing lest a failure of the present leaders of organized labor would turn that movement over to the I. W. W. and similar Boishevik agitators.