OPEN DEBATING TEAM TRIALS

COMPETITORS CALLED OUT TUESDAY NIGHT TO PREPARE FOR DARTMOUTH.

The first trials for the University Debating team will be held next Tuesday, November 25, at 7 o'clock, at a place to be announced later. The question under discussion as now framed reads: "Resolved, That the United States should adopt the Plumb plan for the operation of the railroads, the constitutionality granted."

In this first trial the contestants will speak five minutes, defending whichever side of the question they choose. Half of the contestants will be eliminated at the trial, and those remaining will make ten minute speeches on the same subject the following Friday, November 28. Of these men 12 will be retained and divided into teams.

The selected teams will meet in a regular debate which will end the trials on December 2. The judges will choose from the men that show up best in this debate the nine speakers who will be on the team representing the University in the debate against Dartmouth on January 16. It is planned to exchange teams with Dartmouth and to have the debate in Hanover going on at the same time as the one in Cambridge.

Members of any class in College are eligible for the team, as are out of course and unclassified students who have not attended College for more than four years. Negotiations are now under way to secure a coach for the coming season, but no results have yet been attained.