FALL ROWING GREAT SUCCESS

Coaches Aimed at Unified System and Stroke for Harvard Crews

The worth of fall rowing cannot be questioned, judging from the number of men who reported regularly during the last several months and the success of the five-day regatta which brought the season to a brilliant close. Intense interest was shown from start to finish in the rival club crews and in the competition between the three Freshman dormitories.

On October 26, 106 Freshmen reported to Coach Haines for the preliminary division into crews. The University squad, numbering 140 men, appeared on October 1. The next day the more experienced crews started their work on the river, while the rest stayed on the machines to learn the fundamentals.

Three University Crews.

The University crews were soon divided into three equal eights, which, for the most part, remained the same during the entire season. Numerous club crews were formed, and the yearling candidates were assigned to dormitory crews. As many as 27 eights were at times on the river, as well as about '25 men who were doing individual work in the wherries and singles.

Coach Haines had complete charge of the three University crews and the first dormitory eights, while "Ed" Brown directed the work of the upper clubs. W. C. Chanler 1L, took the lower club crews, and F. B. Whitman 1G and H. B. Cabot 1L divided the less important Freshman eights. Reporting about two weeks after the others, the single-scullers were coached by Jack Manning.

Coaching Was Unified.

With such a large squad it was essential that the coaching should be unified, and frequent meetings were held to discuss the different systems of coaching and to settle upon what style of stroke should be adopted by the Harvard crews. P. Withington '09, who was unable to take an active part in the coaching, attended these meetings and gave many valuable suggestions.

In the regatta Crew A won the highest honors by defeating both B and C, but B was only a quarter of a length behind the winner at the finish line. In the club races the Eliot crews showed to the best advantage, winning the more important of the races.

Gore Hall captured the Freshman championship by winning the two triangular races between the upper dormitory crews. In the third and fourth crew races Standish and Smith divided the honors, with Gore second in both of the contests. The class crew races came to a sudden end with the swamping of the Junior and Sophomore crews.