TRADERS WANT MORE COLLEGE MEN FOR CONSULAR POSITIONS

Plan to Establish Central Diplomatic Staff and New Junior Service.

To offer a more attractive opening in the diplomatic service for university graduates and young men of ability is the aim of the American Manufacturers Export Association, one of the most powerful of the business organizations in this country. A resolution was adopted recently urging Congress for legislation to attract men of high attainment into the diplomatic service by placing salaries on a reasonable basis, freeing appointments from political influences and providing proper training for such posts.

That there is an imperative need for improvement in our diplomatic and consular services to make them accord with the dignity of our altered position in international affairs is the belief of the association. In the past this country has neglected, while other nations have paid special attention to the organization of this most important branch of government.

The point emphasized by the export men is that while the rest of the world has called upon men from the universities especially trained and fitted, the United States has not offered sufficient inducement to attract men of high standing and ability. To remedy this condition and to attract university graduates who have proved their worth, the Export Association offers several suggestions: First, the formulation of proper civil service regulations to apply to the entire diplomatic and consular systems, with the single exception of ambassadors and ministers, since they are the personal representatives abroad of the administration.

Second, they would establish a competent central diplomatic staff of five members, with the Secretary of State as chairman ex-officio, to hold office during good behavior, which would remove these systems from all partisan political interference. This staff would make all appointments within the diplomatic and consular services.

Most important for university men, however, would be the reorganization of the junior service which becomes the educational preparation for a diplomatic career. The young applicant who enlists for a period of years, under the proposed changes, would be required to pass a severe examination in the essentials of international law, history, economics, and politics. He would have to have a command of English, French, and at least one other language. In determining his qualications, his health, energy, personality, and character would all be considered.

Members of the junior service act as private secretaries to the ambassadors and ministers, or they may be assigned to special work by the Central Diplomatic Staff. Before appointment as consuls they serve a year in each of the branches of the diplomatic service and a year in travel from consulate to consulate primarily to study procedure in the different branches.