FORM LOCAL HOCKEY LEAGUE FOR SCHEDULE AT PAVILION

Winsor and Read Arrange for Series of Weekly Games on New "Tech" Building Rink.

Under the direction of Mr. Alfred Winsor '02, former University hockey star and coach, and one of the leading national authorities on hockey, and Mr. Harold W. Read, chairman of the Boston Athletic Association Hockey Committee, plans are now well under way for the opening season of the new Ice Pavilion in the Technology Block. A local league, composed of the University, Dartmouth, an organization of former Y.D. men, the Boston Hockey Club and possibly the Crescent Hockey Club, has been organized and a schedule of weekly games among these teams is being made up.

Work has already been begun on the new Ice Pavilion. The start on construction was delayed a little in order that the Cambridge Building Department could be thoroughly satisfied that the figures were correct as to the proposed seating capacity, the number of exists and the structural stability of the building with relation to the weight involved.

As soon as the permit was issued, the carpenters were at work upon the partitions which must come down to clear the two upper stories. Pipes and machinery for the refrigerating plant have been ordered and the work will be rushed as fast as possible to make the Pavilion ready for its public opening on or about December 10.

The Pavilion management has announced that no semi-professional hockey will be allowed, and there is no thought, as yet, of inviting any professional teams to play in the new rink. Hearty support of amateur hockey is their avowed aim.

The chief objection to the rink is its narrowness. With a length of 162 feet it is only 52 feet wide. Inasmuch as the Brooklyn Ice Palace was found too narrow last fall in the game with Yale, there is some doubt as to whether the important games can be played on the rink in case that there is available out-door ice.

While the Harvard Athletic Association has made no contract with the Pavilion management to play its games on the new rink there is every reason to except that the University will avail itself of this rink at once so convenient and so reliable.