NEW FRESHMAN ATHLETIC BUILDING OPENS TODAY

The 1922 Basketball Squad Will Practice There--Building Not Yet Finished.

Facilities for indoor exercise at the University expand today with the opening of the new Freshman Athletic Building. This marks the climax of the plans this fall of the Department of Physical Training at the University, which so far have resulted in the general reorganization of Freshman athletic facilities and the construction of 11 new squash courts in Randolph Gymnasium.

Today all the 1923 basketball men move to the new hall. After the Christmas vacation the department hopes to move all the Freshmen to the new building except those who are engaged in special exercises like wrestling, fencing and boxing, because, although the main basketball hall is opened today, the entire building will not be completed until the beginning of January. The present plan provides that men living in the Freshmen dormitories will dress in their own rooms, lockers being provided only for men who live out of town or elsewhere in Cambridge.

Colonel Goetz will occupy a small room in the basement with his military equipment.

Although this building is designated as the Temporary Freshman Athletic Building, the department has spared no pains in making it up-to-date as far as possible. The cost of construction will probably fall slightly under the original estimate of $50,000.