"If Wrong, to Make Right."

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It was a novel idea, to say the least, that was expressed in Mr. Lippitt's communication. It said in effect that the Government should not be criticised, that those who wish for peace do not consider that the United States must fight or fall in the coming struggle of nations, and that since "my country, right or wrong,' is the right stand to take, we should express by petition our absolute faith in our Government.

The Government is often wrong, often unjust; and the whole basis of a Democracy rests upon the moral sense of the people exerting a continual pressure on the Government through criticism. Sometimes that criticism is expressed in votes, sometimes in petition, but it is absolutely essential to Responsible Government.

A vast number of people believe that the Senate is holding up in a most disgraceful manner the world's only chance for a permanent peace based on international justice. It is not only the privilege, but the duty of those people to make their will felt. A petition of "absolute faith" would tend to sweep away the very foundations of Democracy.

Surely "My country, right or wrong," cannot be the highest moral standard! Say rather with Karl Shurz: "My Country right or wrong . . . if wrong, to make right." ARTHUR NEWELL MOORE '23.