BROAD FIELD OF OPPORTUNITY OFFERED BY PROSPECT UNION

Capable Instructors Needed to Teach Many Subjects to Workingmen.

The teaching staff at the Prospect Union for the coming year is now being selected. In accord with the spirit and purpose of the founders of the Union in Central Square, preference will be given, other things being equal, to Harvard instructors, graduate students, and certain specially qualified undergraduates. Classes and lectures, held principally during the evening, will include elementary, commercial, technical, and cultural subjects.

Men capable of instructing in English composition or elementary English for foreigners, in mathematics, modern languages, the physical sciences, music or political science, and desiring the opportunity of contact with workingmen through teaching, should communicate with Arthur Fisher 3L., 20 Winthrop Hall, Cambridge. Details of the work may also be discussed with F. K. Bullard '20 between 8 and 10 o'clock at Phillips Brooks House any week day morning.

The Prospect Union was founded in 1890 by Professor Francis G. Peabody '69, a group of Harvard students, and several workingmen of Cambridge. The purpose of the Union was then, and has since been, to bring into mutual beneficial contact all classes and groups in the community. Catholics and Protestants, Socialists and Anarchists, black and white, aliens and Americans, have all been members of the Union and have contributed their share to the working unity. Among the instructors and supporters of the organization have been such eminent men as Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, Charles Eliot Norton, Edward Everett Hale, and President Eliot.

An innovation planned at the Union during the coming year will be impersonal scientific studies into local civic problems. These surveys will be taken up as part of the work in classes in economics and social problems, and it is expected will result in dispassionate analysis of the root causes of present industrial unrest.

In addition to its college aspects, the Union serves as a men's club. It is supplied with smoking, card, and reading rooms, pool and billiard tables and quarters for other recreational activities. Harvard students wishing to establish personal relationships with citizens of cosmopolitan Cambridge through assistance to debating teams, dramatic productions and musical work will be given all available opportunities. Suggestions for enhancing the usefulness of the club facilities or more fully fulfilling the general purposes of the institution are at all times welcome. Professor James Ford, President of the Board of Directors of the Prospect Union, or either of the men mentioned above, will gladly confer with any persons who wish to contribute either ideas or personal assistance to the solution of local educational and civic problems.