PLANS OF HARVARD SQUASH CLUB NEAR REALIZATION

Headquarters to be in Randolph Gym.--"Ladder" Tournament System Worked Out.

Plans for the Harvard Squash Club are maturing rapidly toward concrete results in teams and schedules. It is planned to have the headquarters of the club in the room in Randolph Gymnasium formerly used as an office by Dr. Sargent, where fittings to make it more like a club-room will be arranged.

In order to promote interest and competition in the club and its team from the very start, all the men who have played in the two tournaments which just ended, will be formed into two rank lists, one for squash, and one for squash racquets. A ladder tournament will be instituted among the members of each list in such a form that the leader in each list will hold his position only against continual competition. All men on the list, except the first ranking ten, can challenge at any time the man three places above him on the list. In the first ten any man can challenge the player next above him. Thus a continual competition results and a consequent instability of the rank lists.

Teams are Men Leading Rank List.

At any time when matches are to be played with outside teams either in squash or squash racquets the teams will be made up of the leading men in the respective rank lists. At the end of the year it is proposed to award prizes to the three leading men in each list, and to engrave upon a shield in the club room the names of the champions in each branch, with the result that every season there will be a competition lasting a year to determine the champion.

Racquets Team to Join League.

To provide schedules for these two branches of the club two different plans are being followed. In squash racquets the possibilities of league matches are good. The Massachusetts Squash Racquets Club is engaged in forming a league of which the Harvard Club of Boston, the B. A. A., Newton Center Squash Racquets Club, Union Boat Club, Tennis and Racquet Club, and the Harvard Squash Club would be members. A regular schedule with interclub matches for the league championship will probably be drawn up later in the season.

Progress in the development of a schedule for the squash team is not so definite as no league is in view. Already, however, invitations from the Yale, Princeton, and Harvard Clubs of New York City have been received asking for matches.