10,256 UNIVERSITY MEN SERVED IN GREAT WAR

HONOR ROLL REACHES 284

The War Records Office has just compiled statistics showing that 10,256 University men have been enrolled in the armed services of this country and the Allies, or in the various auxiliary branches such as Ambulance, Red Cross, or Y. M. C. A., during the war. This total does not include those men in the S. A. T. C. or other units who would not, under normal conditions, have been at the University. Forty-seven percent of--the men were commissioned as officers in the branch of the service in which they served, and 284 appear to date on they Roll of Honor of men who gave their lives in the service. One hundred and sixteen were decorated, for their heroic actions.

In a statistical comparison of war records, the University leads Yale throughout, excepting in the College Naval Unit, where Yale led by 115. Yale claims the only College Field Artillery School, the largest College Naval Unit, the first. American Mobile Hospital, and the only Training School for Signal Corps Officers, Army Hospital Laboratory, and Chemical Warfare Service.

The University, on the other hand, was the only American college to have a mission of French Officers, and a Naval Radio School.

University-Yale Statistics.

The statistical comparison between the University and Yale follows: University  Yale Total in Service,  10,256  8,000 Holding Commissions,  4,911  3,500 Roll of Honor,  284  163 Faculty Members,  168  75 Men in S. A. T. C.,  1,367  1,309 Men in Naval Unit,  441  556

Besides these men, there were 5,000 Radio students at the Cambridge training Station who were using the University buildings, and dormitories, and the Cambridge Common. There have been, in addition, 700 naval cadet officers, the majority of whom have received commissions.