TALKING THINGS OVER.

Ex-President Taft in his speech before the working people of Boston last Friday evening, said that all political and social misunderstandings could be done away with if people could only get together and talk things over. He quoted as an example of the truth of this statement his own experience with Frank P. Walsh. They had cordially disliked each other view on labor until they were placed on the same board. Since that time they have ceased criticizing and have developed a constructive program of reform.

The discussion groups would offer us this opportunity. Many of us have grown up in a certain political and social atmosphere and our minds have been limited by false prejudices, Direct contact, however, with new points of view through the medium of informal meetings would broaden our outlook and give our true natures the chance to reveal themselves.

The Faculty leaders of each group would be there to modify our extreme views by the common sense of experience and to lead our minds into new channels of thought. Thus the student would grasp new ideas, launch them enthusiastically, have them tempered and brought down to earth by opposition, and evolve practical opinions which make for construction.