"H" MEN ALL IN SERVICE

FOUR NUMERAL MEN DEAD

Every undergraduate in the University at the time the United States entered the war, who was an "H" man in a major sport, or had won his letter on a minor team, was in the service at the time the armistice was signed. Statistics--showing the remarkable record of the University's athletes were given out at the H. A. A. Office yesterday. In addition it was shown that every man who was a member of the 1920 Freshman football or hockey teams was also in the Army or Navy.

Of the twenty-three members of the 1916 University eleven, every man was commissioned in the Army, Navy, or Marine Corps, except one who will obtain his commission in a few weeks. All but one of the men holding baseball"H's" when the war broke out were commissioned. There are nine such men. The tenth man, though not commissioned, is in the A. E. F. in France. The seventeen hockey "H" men were all in the service, and each of the five University oarsmen were commissioned officers, as were the eight track men. Tennis and golf both gave their full quotas.

The Freshman football and hockey teams of the class of 1920 gave respectively twenty-four and fourteen men to the service. With one or two exceptions every man from the Class of 1921, who played on last year's Freshman teams, was in the service, many commissioned, but the majority still in officers' training camps. Seven men on the 1921 eleven were commissioned in the Army.

The University Honor Roll contains the names of four of these athletes. Three of them were members of the 1920 Freshman eleven: A. Aspinwall, W. H. Cheney, and H. L. Whitney. The fourth man to give his life was E. R. Sumner '21 who was on both the soccer and swimming teams of last year's Freshman class.