THE SPIRIT OF THE TIMES.

Those students whose personal experience with life in the University includes war and even pre-war times are interested observers of the rapid transformation which is bringing us back to the normal order of what the outside world loves to term "college life." The signing of the armistice last November marked a very low point in the tide of college activities beyond the regular courses. At that time practically every activity which in some degree did not spring from military courses was either non-existent or well along the road to become so. The ink was searcely dry on the armistice papers, however, ere the grim spectre of militarism was promptly forgotten in the eager planning for a speedy return to the ante-bellum order of things. The steady maturing of these hastily made plans is swiftly removing the "war paint" from the University.

Formal athletic teams once more are organized to compete with officially recognized opponents. College publications are again turning out their issues as in former times. Classes have changed from uniform to civilian dress, and their numbers have doubled, trebled, and even quadrupled in some instances. The once magic words "military duties" have lost their previously infallible power to calm instructors who wax wroth at sins of ommission and commission. There is also a growing spirit of optimism in the air, due to the replacement of the uncertain future of war times by the more discernable future in days of peace.

Such is the spirit of the times. And it indicates that the University first to place itself upon a war basis is determined to get back to a peace footing in record time. The rate at which the change is being made will soon have divested the Colege of the last lingering signs of the days of military regime. They were days which, had their advantages and their disadvantages, but undoubtedly very few would elect to live them over again. Let the "peace paint" be applied ever so rapidly, the grim effects of war cannot be effaced too soon from the normal activities in the University.