TOTAL UNIVERSITY MEN IN WAR 36 PER CENT

OTHER COLLEGES BEHIND

Approximately 36 per cent of the alumni and undergraduates of the University have been engaged actively in war work, while the service record of all college men in this country puts the number of those who took part in the war at only about 18 per cent, just half the University's record. Further statistics have been complied by the CRIMSON, which show that the men from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton served the nation equally well during the emergency, no one institution distinguishing itself above the others for its measure of sacrifice. It is evident that it is not the mere superiority in numbers of men in the service which furnishes a basis for a correct estimate of a college's patriotism, but the proportional sacrifices of the different institutions.

In the cases of the University, Yale, and Princeton, the percentages vary only slightly, though the total service records of each of these three universities are remarkable when compared with the service records of American colleges as a whole.

17 Per Cent of All College Graduates

According to the World Almanac, out of the 396,619 living college alumni of this country approximately 17 percent were in the service. On the other hand, of the living alumni and undergraduates of the University, Yale and Princeton, 36, 38, and 45 percent respectively were in the Army, Navy and auxiliary forces. Princeton's leadership is not great, when the large numbers of foreign students and men over military age in the graduate schools of the University, and to a lesser degree Yale, are taken into consideration. The University and Princeton each had approximately 53 per cent of their men in active service commissioned. Yale had 44 per cent. But on the other hand, the latter college had almost 2 per cent of its total men in service decorated, while the University and Princeton each had slightly over one per cent.

Three per cent of the Harvard men who fought are on the Roll of Honor. Princeton had slightly over, and Yale slightly under, two per cent killed. 21 per cent of the University's Faculty have been absent on Government service, and 13 per cent of Yale's. The number of professors on leave of absence from Princeton is not known, though almost 55 per cent of her faculty were engaged in some form of war work, the majority of them remaining, however, at the college.