MERRIMAN EXPLAINS MEETINGS

ATHLETIC COUNCIL DISCUSSED ELIGIBILITY, NOT "BIG THREE LEAGUE".

Another meeting of the athletic heads of Yale, Princeton and the University took place in New York Tuesday evening. No news of the first meeting had been given to the press, and the general impression was spread that the three universities were planning a close and exclusive combine known as the "Big Three." Major Moore '93, Graduate Treasurer of the Athletic Association, in the CRIMSON, and Professor Corwin, chairman of Yale's Board of Athletic Control, in the Yale News, denied any exclusiveness on the part of Yale, Princeton and the University. At the second conference a statement in regard to this misunderstanding was prepared for publication and the CRIMSON received the following communication from Professor R. B. Merriman '96, who represented the University:

"Some misunderstanding appears to have arisen in regard to the recent meetings in New York of the Athletic Boards of Harvard, Yale and Princeton. These meetings have been entirely informal; none of the decisions there reached can be valid without ratification by the Athletic Committees of the three universities concerned. No radical changes in athletic policies or relations have been contemplated. There has been no thought of any "Big Three League," or of drawing out of athletic relations with other colleges or universities; an inspection of the published athletic schedules of Harvard, Yale and Princeton will show this. The general topics that have been talked over have been temporary changes in the eligibility rules, made necessary by the fact that so many students have been in military service, and the arrangement of dates and places for intercollegiate athletic contests in the different branches of sport. All reports attributing any further significance to these conferences are entirely without foundation. The only reason no news has been given out is that there has been no news to give.  Very truly yours,  R. B. MERRIMAN,  Temporary Chairman,  Athletic Committee.