QUESTIONS OUTCOME OF LEAGUE

PROF. WARREN AT VARIANCE WITH ELIOT ON COMPACT OF GOVERNMENTS.

"I do not believe that the time will ever come when civilized nations will arbitrate what part of their population shall die," said Professor Edward Warren at the Law School reception last night. Professor Warren said that although he had the highest hope in the League of Nations yet the laws of evolution and the Malthusian theory present an almost impossible problem. He thought that to substitute "the force of law" for the "law of force" would "tax human ingenuity to the utmost." Yet he believed that in time the race might overcome more of its primeval instincts as it had conquered some in the past.

Establish Relations Between Men.

"I hope you will not be led astray by any human errors, especially in regard to conceptions of how the universe is run," said President Eliot. "Nearly everything remains to be done to establish just relations between government and citizen, man and man, employer and those whom they employ." Turning to the results of the Peace Conference President Eliot said, "The best outcome will be an enduring compact between the British people and the American people to keep the peace and promote the good relations of the earth." President Eliot expressed a belief that if the "force of law," were backed by "an overwhelming force of army and navy" it would prevail.

Dean Pound dealt at considerable length with the need of knowledge of the Common Law. He traced the wresting of the first personal rights from the King of England, their incorporation in the Magna Charta, and the great influence of that "dusty parchment" upon the Anglo-Saxon race. He emphasized the necessity of building all new projects upon the firm foundation of past experience. Especially in the practice of law should attention be devoted to the gradual growth of personal liberty and the slow progress toward a rational society.