BALFOUR LAUDS UNIT'S WORKS

Expresses Praise From British Govt. In Letter to Pres. Lowell for Work With Soldiers.

In a letter to President Lowell, the Rt. Hon, Arthur J. Balfour, on behalf of the British Government, expressed his appreciation of services of the Harvard Surgical Unit, Balfour wrote:

"Now that the Harvard Medical Unit has fulfilled its noble mission to the British troops in France and has earned the tribute of their undying gratitude, I desire to offer to that splendid organization some expression, however inadequate, of my deep appreciation of the great work that it has performed.

"It would have given me the utmost pleasure to have conveyed this message in person when the Unit passes through London on its way home to the United States. But this, unfortunately, is denied me, since in mid-January, I myself shall be engaged at the Peace Conference in Paris.

"May I, therefore, count on you good offices to let every member of the Unit know how grateful his Majesty's Government feels for the generous offer made and carried out in December. 1916? Through two strenuous and memorable years the work of General Hospital 22, the largest hospital unit serving with the British Army, has held a record for skilful and untiring treatment of our wounded. The memory of so much service and self sacrifice can ever pass from us; it will be cherished in perpetuity by the relatives and friends of those whom the Harvard Unit has tended with such admirable devotion.

"Let me wish to one and all of our fellow-workers in the war a safe return from the scenes of their labors. They have added lustre even to the fame of Harvard; and have forged a new and enduring link in the bonds of loyal regard by which we shall ever be united. Believe me,   My dear Mr. President,   ARTHUR JAMES BALFOUR.