25' PERCENT INCREASE IN SALARIES GIVEN AT YALE

LATIN NOW OPTIONAL

At a meeting of the Yale Corporation held yesterday, it was decided to raise the salaries of all instructors and assistant professors of the university. The former will receive a 25 percent, and the latter a $500 increase.

The Corporation also voted to have a common Freshman year for the college and the Sheffield Scientific School, with a separate dean and faculty; to appoint a provost and dean of students who shall be concerned with morale and with student relations; and to transfer Latin from the group of required to elective subjects for admission to the college.

Advanced algebra, solid geometry, and trigonometry were transferred from the list of required to the group of elective studies for admission to the Sheffield Scientific School, and provision was made by the college faculty for granting a college degree without Latin.

Beginning of Reorganization.

These few changes show a decided alteration of Yale's policy and contain the essence of a revolutionary movement.

The reorganization plan is the result of two months' work by a committee which has been in constant conference with members of the faculty and with members of the alumni committee.

The Yale Corporation is anxious that Yale should take the lead among colleges of the country in placing teaching profession on a basis of compensation that is more adequate and dignified. To this effect a resolution was passed that the increase in salaries already announced be regarded as only the initial steps in a policy to bring about further increases to members of the Yale faculty.