JUSTICE DONE.

It is good to learn that the cause of underpaid college instructors has finally received recognition from one university at least. The raise in the salaries of instructors and assistant professors, which has just been announced-at Yale University, is a tardy compensation for the great increase in living expenses that has occurred during the last few years. Though the action is belated indeed, yet it is a pioneer movement among educational institutions in this respect.

Business men have long since learned that "the laborer is worthy of his hire." If the profession of teaching expects to attract men who are fitted for the work, then it must offer something better than a meagre existence during the apprenticeship years. Otherwise those who are qualified to carry on this responsible work will be turned aside into professions where the reward is more in proportion to their education and ability. It is a problem which must be satisfactorily met in the very near future, or educational standards will receive a setback that belated relief cannot entirely eliminate.