LEAVE WILSON OUT OF IT.

The educational value to the nation at large of the recent debate between Senator Lodge and President Lowell has proved even greater than was anticipated; previous discussions, with few exceptions did not appeal to the man in the street as practical; but everyone who heard or read the speeches delivered in Symphony Hall was able to grasp without difficulty the fundamental issues at stake. Although the attitudes of the speakers were not diametrically opposed there was considerable difference in the views expressed. We agree strongly with the position taken by President Lowell, and, as far as can be ascertained, the same opinion is held by the majority of the University.

It should be carefully noted that throughout his discourse President Lowell did not once refer to President Wilson. The Covenant which he discussed was not "Wilson's plan" it was the plan of the best brains which the allied countries could furnish. The popular conception, unfortunately encouraged and fostered by President Wilson himself, that he alone is the father of the ideal and the doctrine, is as erroneous as a similar conception that Washington wrote the Declaration of Independence. Increasing antagonism to one man rule, which was apparent in the audience every time Senator Lodge mentioned the administration, will prevent the adoption of any League unless it is realized that such an important program could only be the creation of all the nations involved.

We regret that in certain instances Senator Lodge did not make his position more clear. Although he declared him self in favor of a league he seemed to argue, both directly and by implication, against any league worthy of the name. As President Lowell showed so clearly a League of Nations must include certain minimum stipulations to which the signatories will agree: Senator Lodge seemed to oppose even those minimum stipulations. President Wilson has, by his ill advised action, laid the Covenant of Paris wide open to political attack, and some Republicans though Senator Lodge is of course not among them--are opposing the Democratic administration by attacking the League. When the revised plan is presented to the United States for its consideration and approval it must not in any way be regarded as a party matter, but instead be dealt with in the same broad manner in which the nation considered its emergency war legislation.