WORKSHOP PRAISED BY ARLISS

BAKER'S SYSTEM IS ELIMINATING "UNWORTHY PLAYS" FROM MODERN STAGE

That the Workshop system of amateur plays, as originated by Professor Baker, is doing a great deal of good throughout the country, was the statement made by George Arliss, the famous actor, to a CRIMSON reporter the other day.

"Although it is not realized by the general public," said Mr. Arliss, "workshop plays, produced in the semi-privacy of a small theatre are unostentatiously 'eating their way' beneath the mass of unworthy plays which we have to deal with. By 'unworthy' plays I mean the type commonly known as what the public wants,' but which it really does not want at all. The frivolous, plotless play has been largely brought on by the war, under the excuse of giving people something they can follow without thought or effort; but in such light productions, the mind is much more liable to stray back to its original trouble instead of being directed in another channel. A play of depth, tangibly constructed, is of far more value to the tired mind than such nonsensical entertainment. Even though it is hardly apparent on the surface, the Workshop play is seriously threatening the foundations of those 'unworthy' plays, slowly undermining them, and, I hope, to their speedy collapse.

"I am hoping to be able to found an institution in New York City that will keep in direct communication with workshops throughout America, and endeavor to draw some of the best material in them to the real stage. There are always bound to be a few highlights among the amateurs in workshop plays, and there seems no reason why we should not in some way get in touch with them and give them an opportunity for a stage career. A place cannot of course be found for all, but as in any other profession, there is always the chance for those with real ability. For those who have the ability, the training and assistance of the workshop under the direct control of cultured people is of great advantage.

I had the occasion, some time ago, to witness a performance of the 47 Workshop, and was much impressed by the very definite attempt at theater lighting therein. I consider that Professor Baker has done some of the most valuable work in connection with the theatrical workshop movement, and his influence is remarkably wide-spread".