THE FIGURES ON MAJOR SPORTS.

The news that twenty-nine percent of all eligible undergraduates are taking part in one or another of the four major sports this spring is at least worthy of comment. It will come as a decided surprise to many of the older graduates who in pre-war days were wont to compare eleven men on the football team to the whole seething cheering-sections which gave them lusty support. "Why is there not a chance on some team or crew for every man who wants to take part in a college sport?" these graduates asked. Generally there was an answer, but still the questioner would go away unsatisfied. The results did not seem to be there.

The causes of this situation were two. In the first place perhaps too much emphasis was placed by those concerned in college sports on the all-importance of a winning University team. Not enough attention was paid, perhaps, to the athletic welfare of the willing candidates who were rejected as not quite "Varsity material." This condition in so far as it existed has been largely remedied, as the figures published today show.

The other reason for the old major sport situation has not yet been entirely removed, nor is it as easy to cope with as the first. It is none other than that old bogy, the apathy of many college men toward athletics, and a non-realization of the real and permanent good to be obtained from any form of physical sport steadily pursued. The situation in this regard is much better than formerly, but there is still much room for further improvement. That by far the greatest interest in sports is taken this year by Freshmen is a good sign. But why does the general athletic interest slacken after Freshman year? We can now justly assure the graduate that athletic advantages are open to all alike at Harvard. When will we be able to add that they are advantages fully appreciated by all to whom they can and should be of benefit?