GYMNASIUM PROPOSED, AS MEMORIAL TO WAR DEAD

FIRST OF A SERIES OF ARTICLES EXPLAINS PLANS FOR UP-TO-DATE BUILDING PROVIDING ADEQUATE EQUIPMENT FOR ATHLETICS.

This is the first of a series of articles to be published in the CRIMSON describing four of the plans which have been suggested as memorials for the men of the University who have died in the war. The four proposals for a memorial which are to receive consideration are: a gymnasium; an auditorium; a monument, to stand on the farther bank of the Charles River; and the inscription of the names of the University men who have lost their lives in the war in the rooms which they occupied while at College. The first of these plans is the subject of this article, and the other three proposals will be outlined for the consideration of the undergraduates in subsequent discussions. The CRIMSON will be very glad to receive and publish plans or ideas of any additional suggestions for a suitable memorial to the men on the University's Roll of Honor.

The plan of an adequate gymnasium, printed below, provides for a thoroughly modern and complete building to fill the needs for which the old Hemenway Gymnasium is now too small. It is designed to have one large central room, which would contain one or two basketball courts, and would be completely equipped with gymnastic apparatus including, scaling ladders, climbing poles, horizontal bars, scaling walls, parallel bars, and leather covered horses, as well as the lighter apparatus such as bar-bells, quarter-staves, wands, dumb-bells, single sticks, and Indian clubs. Branching off from this central space are smaller rooms, which would be used for boxing, wrestling, and fencing.

One of the principle features in this plan is the swimming pool. This would be open to all members of the University, and would be of great advantage to the swimming team which now has no tank for its use expect that of the Y. M. C. A. Courts for Indoor tennis and squash are also included in the plans.

Another very important features is the indoor banked running track for winter practice and indoor track meets. The plan provides for several locker rooms which would furnish ample room for both the University squads and visiting teams. These facilities would greatly favor winter track which, as things now are, has to practice on an outdoor board track, subject to weather conditions.

It is suggested to furnish the main hall-way as a trophy room. At present all the relics of former athletic contests are on the second floor of the Union where they are seldom seen by the average undergraduate. The dedication,--a stone tablet engraved with the names of the Harvard men who fell in the war, could be placed in this hall with the trophies.

In addition to the swimming pool, a hockey rink with artificial ice is incorporated into the building according to the specifications. This would relieve the hockey men of the necessity of going into the Arena for practice and games. The rink would be open to the University, during the morning and at other times when not being used by the team.

The gymnasium building contains two lecture rooms which might be used for classes connected with physical training, such as courses in hygiene.