OFFICER CASUALTIES TOTAL 184

THREE HUNDRED DIED SERVING UNITED STATES AND ALLIED FORCES.

Commissioned officers comprise 184 or nearly two-thirds of the total number of names on the University Roll of Honor according to the latest statistics of the University War Records Office. The list now includes 300 men who died in the armed service of the United States and her Allies, and twenty-four others who served in auxiliary branches. Foreign armies are well represented, the English coming first with a total of 22, the French, second, with 15, and the Canadian last with 6. It is a scarcely known fact that three University men served in the German armies. They were, however, German citizens and had only taken graduate work at the University.

The list commences with the name of George Williamson '05, of Montreal, Canada, who as a lieutenant in the second battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Riding Regiment, was so badly wounded during the opening engagements of the war, that he died of his injuries in a hospital on Nov. 4, 1914. He is believed to have been the first graduate of any American college to have been killed during the World War.

Casualties in all Branches.

All branches of the American service are represented. Infantry has the highest number, 81, followed by Air Service with 41. The others are: Field Artillery 17, Medical Corps 12, Machine Gun Corps 8, Engineers 8, Coast Artillery Corps 5, Cavalry 4, Quarter Master Corps 4. Intelligence Service 3, S. A. T. C. 3, Ordnance Corps 2, Ambulance Corps 2, Dental Corps 2, Signal Corps 1, and Inspector General's Department 1.

The Navy is given the names of 12 in the line service and 7 in the aviation. The Marine Corps has six men on the Roll, one being an aviator. Among the auxiliary branches, the various Ambulances stand highest with a total of 12 deaths, the Red Cross has three, the Y. M. C. A. 2, and one is noted in the Belgian Relief Commission.

As far as the commissioned men in the army are concerned, the lieutenants have more than all the other ranks combined, in all 140. There are also 31 captains, 10 majors, 1 colonel and 1 chaplain among the University's dead. In the list of naval officers who have been killed, nine are ensigns.