MAY APPLY FOR WAR DEGREE OF A.B. OR S.B.

CONSIDER SPECIAL CLAIMS

Application may now be made by candidates for a war degree of A.B. or S.B. at Dean Greenough's Office in University Hall. The degree, now offered to men whose courses were interrupted by war service, is to be termed a "war degree" not an "honoris causa" degree.

In the determination of the credit to be granted, the length of service will be considered and the amount of credit made proportionate; but no matter how long a man's service may have been, he will not be credited with more than four courses; that is, twelve courses plus English A is the smallest amount of work acceptable for the War Degree. If a man's war service interrupted less than one year of study he is to be given credit for the maximum amount of work that he could have completed, had he stayed in College.

So far as the diploma is concerned the only difference between the "War Degree" and the regular A.B. lies in the addition after the candidate's name of the words "qui studiis relictis pro patriae liberate militavit." Since it is based on only three-fourths of the work required for a regular A.B. this new degree is intended for those who, having served in the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or an allied country have missed a portion of their courses.

A man may be awarded a "War Degree" and still be eligible to continue his course for a regular A.B. or S.B., providing that he give up his "War Degree" before receiving the regular diploma.

Members of the S. A. T. C., Marine Corps and Naval Unit of the University will not be entitled to any further academic credit for war service, since they have already received academic credit for college work done during their service. Neither are those men who were in the ambulance service, the Y.M.C.A., or any other non-combatant organizations eligible for the War Diploma.

Each case will be considered individually and reasonable elasticity will be employed in the cases of candidates for a "War Degree" who, not having been away the prescribed time, now find it impossible to remain at College for the completion of the regular course.