SUGGEST MONUMENT AS MEMORIAL TO WAR DEAD

2nd Plan For Tribute Suggests Laying Out Park in Vacant Ground On South Bank of Charles.

The erection of a monument in a park to be laid out on the vacant ground on the south bank of the Charles River has been proposed-as a memorial to the men of Harvard who have fallen in the great war. At present the land on the further bank of the river and across Harvard Street from Soldiers Field, recently acquired by the University, is not being utilized in any way. Without much difficulty the plot could be converted into a small park which would be peculiarly appropriate as a memorial to the University men who have died in this war, as balancing Soldiers Field, the memorial to Harvard's dead in the Civil War.

The monument would be very simple,--probably a single shaft of the obelisk type. It would be built of Vermont marble or Quincy granite, rising to a height of about one hundred feet.

Some time ago a committee was appointed by the President of the University, at the request of the Mayor of Cambridge, to study the best means for improving Cambridge in the vicinity of Harvard Square. The plans which the committee submitted, and which were adopted, provide for such a park on the further side of the Charles River, as shown in the accompanying cut taken from the committee's report.

Key to Bird's Eye View.

The bird's eye view is taken from a point directly above Memorial Hall. All the College buildings in the Yard have been cut out in order to show more clearly the proposed improvements. In addition to the park shown in the left, of the picture on the other side of the Charles, the plans include the widening of Massachusetts avenue by placing the sidewalk under arcades to be constructed in existing buildings on the southern side of the avenue; the establishment of new building lines on Harvard square itself, thus increasing the size of the Square; the widening of Boylston street by taking ten feet on the easterly side between Harvard square and the river; the construction of a hotel opposite the site of the Widener Library, with an adequate assembly hall and convention hall in the rear; and the regulation of the general style of architecture to conform with the present plans. A marble or granite shaft on the further bank of the Charles would harmonize with these plans and would serve as a lasting memorial to the University dead.