CLOTHES AND THE UNDERGRADUATE.

Few undergraduates know the significance of the various devices connected with caps and gowns. Although the wearing of this form of dress is supposed to be a very old tradition it was not introduced into the University until 1893 when it was adopted from the English universities. There it has been in vogue since the twelfth century.

At that time all people wore loose flowing robes. The black color is merely an adaptation of the monastic habit. Similarly, the skull caps worn by ecclesiastics to protect their tonsored heads were copied by the educational institutions, and by them, as by the Church, were preserved after they had been elsewhere discarded. The round caps first became peaker, then, the peak degenerated to a tassel. Square cloth caps were introduced by the University of Paris. The two types seem to have been combined in the modern head dress used at graduation.

There are some little known facts in connection with the history of clothing at the University. At first it would seem that the students dressed plainly and soberly, but in 1745 the Overseers found it necessary to prevent the wearing of gold or silver brocade and lace. From then on various sumptuary laws were proclaimed regulating to the minutest detail every man's apparel--Sometimes prescribing on what public occasions nightgowns should be worn, and sometimes forbidding them altogether, as in 1822: "A night-gown of cotton, or fabric, or silk fabric may be worn....except on the Sabbath or occasions when undress would be improper." Finally, in 1870, the size of the college and the students growing spirit of independence caused these laws to be abolished. From then on, it was a custom for Seniors to appear at Class Day and Commencement in evening dress and silk hats. The Class of 1893 finally voted to wear the standardized caps and gowns recently adopted in an American university conference, thus Perpetuating on old English tradition.

A present day attempt to regulate students' clothes would meet with laughter and scorn for the force of public opinion is great enough to keep a sober and appropriate dress, but it is a matter of pride that the Seniors have continued, voluntarily, a custom putting all men on absolutely the same basis, by adopting a universal distinctive garb for the graduating class.