LAMPOON'S BURLESQUE OF TRANSCRIPT REAL HUMOR

Mr. Laski Fears That Irreverence of Undergraduates Means Boston's End as "Modern Athens".

By Harold J. Laski.

No better evidence could be desired of the dangerous growth of infidelity in Harvard than the Lampoon's travesty of the Boston Transcript. If the Lampoon had refused to believe in the usual accuracy of the first chapters of Genesis; if it had asserted that Mr. Phillip Oppenheim could not have written all the novels associated with his name; if it had urged that Ralph Waldo Trine is more spiritually nourishing than Ralph Waldo Emerson; such irreverence might reasonably have been attributed to the youthful extravagance of an epoch of change. But the Lampoon has gone further and has ventured to lay hands upon the essential foundations of the social order. It is difficult to see how Boston can retain its position as the modern Athens if youths of such tender age are to regard the most characteristic institution of Boston culture as food for mirth. A Senate investigation into Harvard teaching is of vital importance unless the basis of modern Boston is to pass away unnoticed.

May Stop Edwards' Biographies

The Lampoon's effort is a brilliant piece of parody. Sometimes it is a little obvious, and the number of themes upon which it lays unholy hands could have been varied with advantage. But the headlines and memorial notices are alone worth the price of admission; and the editorial is so like what the Transcript actually preaches--it is perhaps rather better written--as to suggest that it was contributed in all seriousness from the Transcript office. Excellent, too, is the life of General Edwards which may, one would hope, suppress the possible appearance of the half-dozen volumes of biography which seem destined to appear in defiance of sweet reasonableness. The Book Page is weak; but the Churchman Afield, particularly its notes, would not be despised by Mr. Leacock. The account of the War is in the Transcript's best manner, though it probably shows rather more historical knowledge than the Transcript is wont to display.

I earnestly hope this number of the Lampoon will be suppressed by the authorities. In a winter distinguished by influenza, the armistice, the Peace Conference, and the institution of general examinations, it looks as though none of the ancient customs will long survive. The Transcript cannot have many years to live on its present lines; and I am doubtful if its death will not--if thus prematurely assisted--detract from the gaiety of nations. Only Punch has an equal humour, and Punch, after all, attains its effects by conscious and perspiring effort.

But the main thing, at the moment, is to send a copy of the Lampoon to every Transcript subscriber.