FOCH'S VISIT.

When Marshal Foch began demonstrating his transcendant military genius on the Western Front last summer and the whole civilized world looked to him as the one power that could crush the German machine, a few men looked ahead and wondered if America would ever have the chance to welcome this heroic figure to its shores. We found ourselves thinking of the glorious reception he would receive from a grateful people. And now Representative Julius Kahn states that Foch is making plans to visit the United States within a few months. His coming will give this nation an opportunity to show the famous soldier and his country that we realize our debt to them.

In spite of German propaganda to the contrary, it is recognized by rational people that the feeling between our soldiers and the French has been of the best, but there are ignorant men who believe that this country deserves most of the credit for victory. They speak of Paris being saved by "the grace of God and a few marines" and forget the heroic struggle and dreadful suffering of France during the last four years. When Foch comes here, we must make every effort to show our recognition of the fact that for forty-eight months we prospered under the protection of his country and of Great Britain and that it was his supreme leadership that made possible the splendid showing of our troops.