NEW ELI ATHLETIC FACILITIES

WILL CONSTRUCT BETTER TRACK, NEW DRESSING ROOMS AND 48 TENNIS COURTS.

A cix-fold plan for the increase of the facilities of the Yale athletic field has been formed by the undergraduate athletic association of that University, and is heartily endorsed by the graduates. Its aim, which is to bring about a more general participation in athletics, embraces the following points: better transportation, a new track, new dressing rooms or track house, new tennis courts, a free period for all students each day, and a "Y" club.

In order to bring about better transportation facilities, buses will soon be operating at short intervals between the campus and Yale Field. This means of transportation, besides being free, will bring the field within six minutes of the college, instead of twenty as formerly. Anyone, whether he is out for a team or not will be privileged to a free ride in one of the buses. The purpose will be to get every man out on the field every day, not necessarily competing for a team, but at least taking some form of exercise.

New Track to be Built.

Another proposition, that of building a new track, which has been needed at Yale for some time, is also to be carried out. This will be equipped with a small stadium, and will make it possible to hold intercollegiate meets at New Haven, a thing never before done at the field. Work will be started on this project in June, and will be completed some time next year.

The foundations for a new building to be erected on Yale Field will be laid very soon. This structure will contain 3,000 lockers,--one for every man in the university, as well as a full equipment of showers. Money is already on hand for its completion, and so it should be ready for use by next fall.

To increase the facilities for tennis in proportion to the demand, a block of 48 tennis courts is planned. These will be begun this summer, and will be ready for play either in the fall or next spring. It is hoped to make these courts free as soon as possible.

Although nothing definite has been decided on the question of having a free period each day for all students at Yale, a committee is now working with the Faculty on the solution of this problem. The plan is to have no classes in any of the schools of the University after a certain hour in the afternoon, so that from then on every one may be free to take part in athletics of some form. If this works out, it will accomplish much for the policy of a more general participation in athletics. The "Y" club which is being organized will include not only "Y" men, but also all those who are trying out for a team.