SHIP MANY BOOKS OVERSEAS

Over Million Sent by Dr. Mawson From Despatch Office in Widener.

More than one million books have been shipped overseas by the American Library Association's Despatch Office since its establishment under Dr. C. O. Mawson in the basement of Widener Library last June. Fully three-quarters of a million more books are still needed, for which purpose a campaign for the collection of reading matter will shortly begin.

"Books are equipped here for our returning troops as well as for those who have been going overseas," said Dr. Mawson in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter, "and these must often be secured at very short notice to supply a transport leaving more or less suddenly. The reason we require so many more books is that they don't last, for whereas in public libraries a book may pass through the hands of 30 borrowers before it is worn out, in the Library War Service-especially on shipboard,-a volume rarely outlives the handling by five different persons.

"The University has been very good in placing this part of Widener Library at our disposal, and I must say that Cambridge and the College as a whole has contributed most generously to the organization. I find the box for old magazines in Harvard Square one of the best sources of securing material, for a visit to it nearly always is bound to result in a 'haul'. I also wish to thank most warmly the entire staff of the Widener Library for the invaluable aid they have given me since this office was established.

"Our hands are very full just now providing for the home coming troops and for those still abroad in the Army of Occupation. But our chief work at present is the providing of all kinds of prospectuses on possible trades for soldiers just being discharged from the army, and such books have already done wonders in helping men to decide on what form of employment they like best. In pursuance of this idea, we are placing on practically every transport that starts back from the other side a special book we have gotten out entitled 'Your Job Back Home'."

Dr. Mawson urged that all those having any form of literature which they wish to contribute, should leave it with him, or in case the bulk is of sufficient size, a call will be sent for it upon proper notification. It is pointed out that in giving up rooms and cleaning things out for the summer, many old books and periodicals will turn to light, which other wise would be wasted.