STUDENTS NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE 4 MILITARY COURSES

Third Summer Camp Optional For Officer Candidates; Two Sessions Needed If Pay is Provided.

Col. R. C. Goetz, head of the Military Science Department at the University stated yesterday that students desiring to enter the Field Artillery Unit of the Reserve Officers Training Corps will not be required to take all four courses in Military Science as has hitherto been understood. Students, if they are taking or have satisfactorily completed the required Mathematics, may take Military Science 1 or Military Science 2 without intention of continuing in Artillery. These two courses will give a man a general knowledge and a good basis for further training in this branch of the service. If, however, on the satisfactory completion of Military Sciences 1 and 2, a student desires to continue further study in Military Science, he must, in order to receive a commission and com- mutation of rations, which amount to approximately $12 per month, formally agree to complete the entire schedule of courses.

According to the latest instructions from the War Department the plans for the summer camps to be held in connection with the Field Artillery Reserve Officers Training Corps have been changed. In this change a student will not have to attend three camps. The number of camps that will be required will be governed by the following regulations:

a. Only one summer camp will be required unless provision for pay for the student is made during his attendance at the camp.

b. If provision is made for such pay two summer camps will be required.

c. The third camp will be optional with the student.

The question of adequate pay for those attending the summer camps will come before Congress during its next session. Under the law now in force those attending the camps are furnished with transportation, rations and uniforms. In the proposed law, it is planned to pay the members of the R. O. T. C. an additional amount during the time they are in training camps