CURRENT ISSUE OF HARVARD MAGAZINE BRIEFLY REVIEWED

"Nigger of No Account" by Chambers is Leading Feature.

By R. K. Hack.

The June number of the Harvard Magazine is crammed with stories: John Gallishaw contributes an amusing anecdote of feigned insanity, miss mason shows how an imitation of filial piety may be employed to extract money from innocent Westerners, M. A. Kister converts an atheist into a believer and man of power by means of a railway accident. So far there is nothing beyond the usual legerdemain of the short story; but Robert H. Chambers has achieved a more difficult feat. His "Nigger of No Account" is well no the way which leads to literature, because the author has sympathized with his hero. I am arraid that in the craze for technique the necessity of sympathetic understanding is too often forgotten; the story goes with a click, like a child's toy, but soon wears out and is throw away.

W. S. Holbrook, in "Taps for the Old Army," proposes to ensure adequate officers for a new army, and at the same time to avoid militarism, by making West Point exclusively a school for reserve officers who desire, to continue their military career after having won commission in the various R. O. T C.'s. Mr. Holbrook is probably too sanguine; no education has yet been discovered which will render weak human nature proof against the possession of power. It is, moreover, impossible to "leave out of consideration the question of the enlisted men." But the discussion of this and kindred topics is indispensable; and it is be hoped that college men will give their best thought to them.

Indidentally, the editors devote a few vigorous paragraphs to the CRIMSON.