THE "REVIEW"

Most conspicuous of all the defects in American journalism has been the lack of a good sane weekly journal of politics and general discussion. The "Nation" and the "New Republic" in turn threatened to fill the gap, wavered, and finally degenerated into radical slander out of which it is now difficult to discover any real constructive criticism.

With the publication of the first number of the new "Review", however, we discover a real prospect of a constructive intellectual paper, which appreciates the true meaning of the words "liberal", and "conservative." A glance at the first paragraph of this new periodical's program fills us with a new hope and belief. To quote:

"The paper might have been called either The Liberal or The Conservative without offense to the character which its editors wish to impress upon it. Between true liberalism and true conservatism there exists not only no incompatibility, but on the contrary a vital bond of connection. There is a loose-joined liberalism which spurns the dear-bought fruits of the past, as there is an ossified conservatism which is incapable of seeing the inspiring possibilities of the future. But the true liberal views the future in the light of a genuine appreciation of the past, and the true conservative prizes the past without being blind to the demands of the present and the future."

The more one examines life the more he becomes impressed with the importance of the middle course. No great question is one-sided; in order to reach a real solution one must be able to examine it from both sides. Thus we find the true philosopher, the true scholar is very careful in making unqualified statements; he is a liberal in the real sense of the word, and after hearing him we always go away with a feeling of comfort.

Of course it is true that great actions are not accomplished by a middle course. But the function of a periodical is not acts, but an intelligent discussion of acts. It must interpret the news, and to do so adequately it should not be swayed by passion. The present attitude of the "New Republic" is like that of the little boy who refuses to play because he has not received his full share of the pie, and is correspondingly useless. An attitude like that of "Harvey's Weekly", on the other hand, which indiscriminately damns all acts of President Wilson just because they are his acts, is of equal intellectual insignificance.

The "Review" proposes to take all subjects and treat them in the light of knowledge and common sense. Such a treatment cannot but have a stabilizing effect on opinion, and, at a time when stable thought is very rare indeed, the "Review" should be of inestimable value. We need to discover the point of view of the opposition. The new magazine promises to show it to us without making it revolting. It must maintain its position at all costs, and must receive the recognition of the country. It promises to afford a meeting ground for ideas, and to promote discussion. It reminds us, at a time when the world seems too likely to forget, that, after all, it matters little whether we are conservatives or liberals so long as we are good conservatives and good liberals.