CREW SLOW IN TIME TRIAL

Batchelder Back at Red Top.--Change In Course for Races Proposed.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 15.--Under conditions which were very much the same for both crews, the University and Yale eights had time trials yesterday, the former covering the four mile course in 21 minutes and 34 seconds, the latter in 21 minutes and 13 seconds. The tide favored both boats, but was slightly stronger when the Eli crew went over the course. While the Harvard time was rather disappointing, nothing absolutely definite can be done in the way of comparing the chances of the two crews from the time made in the trials, owing the changes which may yet be made in the two boats.

The Yale second eight rowed the entire distance with the first in the trial yesterday. The University second paced the first for a mile and a half, the Freshmen accompanying the crew for the remainder of the course. Either tomorrow or Tuesday the first crew will go over the course for the final trial.

Batchelder Returns to Red Top.

G. L. Batchelder '19, captain of the second eight is, expected to arrive on the train tonight after his stay in Boston while he was recovering from the effects of an injured knee. He will probably take his seat at number four in the second boat tomorrow.

All the oarsmen at Red Top were given a rest today. Some of the men went out on the "Roxana," the yacht belonging to larz Anderson '88, while the rest had a trip in George Batchelder's auxiliary yawl, the "Dorello."

Change in Course Proposed.

According to reports received today, the course for the races next Friday will probably either be shortened by 150 feet at the end or the start will be pushed forward the same distance. This is caused by the fact that the finish of the course as it stands at present would be a little below the railroad bridge on which the observation train is to run. The New York, New haven, and Hartford officials fear that, unless the course is changed, an accident might occur owing to the tendency of the onlookers in the train to lean too far out over the observation platform railing. At a conference held yesterday between the officials of the railroad and the Rowing Committees of the two universities, the proposed change was discussed. Whether the 150 feet in question will be cut off the end of the course without making up the distance or whether the start will be pushed back to make the course exactly the same distance as it was before will be decided tomorrow. The railroad officials have refused to run the observation train unless the proposed change is made.