CORNELL TEAM WINNER OF INTERCOLLEGIATE MEET

O'CONNELL VICTORIOUS IN SENSATIONAL MILE RUN

Cornell's track team left Cambridge Saturday with the Intercollegiate Championship for the fifth successive time, with a total score of 39 1-2 points. The Ithacans were followed in order by Pennsylvania with 29, Michigan with 25 1-2, Harvard with 23, Dartmouth with 14, Yale with 13 1-2, Princeton with 12, Bowdoin with 9, Rutgers with 5 1-2, Maine with 5, M. I. T. with 5, Lafayette with 4, Georgetown with 4, Columbia with 3, and Syracuse with 3.

O'Connell's Victory Hard Won.

Cornell's victory did not obscure, however, the most spectacular race of the day, in which Dennis F. O'Connell '21 making the best time he had ever done in the mile, passed Crawford of Lafayette, who had been picked to win, on the last stretch and broke the tape two feet ahead of his opponent. O'Connell at the start ran in fourth place but at the half-way mark passed McDermott of Cornell and Bartels of Johns Hopkins into second place; and except for a premature spurt by O'Brien of Yale on the last lap, it was between the Crimson miler and Crawford.

Cornell Captain Broke 2-Mile Record.

One of the individual stars of the meet was Captain I. C. Dresser of Cornell who broke the Intercollegiate record for the two-mile run in a beautifully planned race, outdistancing all others by 100 yards. His time was 9 minutes, 22 2-5 seconds, which is 1 2-5 seconds better than the former record made by Hoffmire of Cornell in 1914, C. E. Johnson of Michigan, a remarkably versatile athlete, scored the largest number of points in the meet, winning the broad jump, placing second in the 100 yard dash, and tying for second in the running high jump. Dartmouth's best pole-vaulter, E. E. Myers, cleared the bar at 12 feet, 6 inches, three inches better than Newsletter of Pennsylvania, but was too exhausted when he tried for the world's record with the bar placed at 13 feet, 3 inches, to succeed in clearing the bar.

The well-rounded Ithacan team included several stars besides Captain Dresser. K. A. Mayer lived up to expectations by winning both the quarter-mile and half-mile. Smith also chalked up a double victory in both the hurdle events, followed each time by his running mate, J. M. Watt. Cornell was weak in field events, only securing 1 1-2 points by Ramsay's tying for fourth place in the high-jump, but her supremacy in track events was more than sufficient.

Captain William Moore Occ., after making 10 seconds flat in the semi-final heat, of the 100-yard dash, finished third in the finals, but pushed up to second place in the 220-yard dash. In these dashes W. C. Haymond, Pennsylvania, showed excellent form and won two firsts. J. D. Hutchinson '19 in the two-mile run finished in the fourth place, nearly passing the third man, S. W. Sedgwick of Michigan, in a final spurt. C. G. Krogness '21 tied for fourth place in the high-jump (which was won by R. W. Landon, Yale), with J. A. Ramsay of Cornell, clearing 5 feet, 9 inches. H. C. Flower '19 found stiff competition in the broad jump against Johnson of Michigan and Le Gendre of Georgetown, but won third place by a jump of 22 feet, 8 3-4 inches. Myers' record in the pole-vault was just 6 inches higher than that of R. W. Harwood '20 who tied with three others for third. In the shot-put and hammer-throw G. A. Clark '19 and A. Stevens '19 added to the University's total by placing fourth and fifth respectively. Braden, Yale's captain, was forced to yield first place in the shot-put to W. H. Allen of Maine.

The Summary.

100-yard dash.--(Final heat).--Won by W. C. Raymond, (Penn); second, C. E. Johnson, (Mich); third, W. Moore, (H); fourth, R. Cook, (Mich); fifth, W. Rollins, (M. I. T.). Time, 10 sec.

220-yard dash.--(Final heat).--Won by W. C. Haymond, (Penn); second, W. Moore, (H); third, R. D. Clark, (Pr); fourth, R. Cook, (Mich); fifth, F. S. Davis, (Penn). Time, 21 2-5 sec.

440-yard run.--Won by K. A. Mayer, (Cor); second, L. Terrell, (Pr); third, W. Rice, (R); fourth, J. Stewart, (Y); fifth, L. Souder, (Syr). Time, 49 4-5 sec.

880-yard run.--Won by K. A. Mayer, (Cor); second, M. R. Gustafson, (Penn); third, C. Shaw, (C); fourth, F. L. Turner, (Syr); fifth, A. J. Coakley, (D). Time, 1m., 56 2-5 sec.

One-mile run.--Won by D. F. O'Connell, (H); second, R. Crawford, (L); third, T. C. McDermott, (Cor); fourth, J. H. O'Leary, (Cor); fifth, V. K. Raymond (Pr). Time, 4 min., 23 3-5 sec.

Two-mile run.--Won by I. C. Dresser, (Cor); second, G. Goodwin, (B); third, S. W. Sedgwick, (Mich); fourth, J. D. Hutchinson, (H); fifth, H. L. Dudley, Jr., (Y). Time, 9 min., 22 2-5 sec.

120-yard high hurdles. -- Won by W. Smith, (Cor); second, J. M. Watt, (Cor); third, J. A. Trowbridge, (Pr); fourth, W. A. Savage, (B); fifth, C. Bellergjeau, (R). Time, 15 1-5 sec.

220-yard low hurdles. -- Won by W. Smith, (Cor); second, J. M. Watt, (Cor); third, W. A. Savage, (B); fourth, G. H. Frazier, (Penn); fifth, G. A. Trowbridge, (Pr). Time, 24 1-5 sec.

Running high-jump. -- Won by R. W. Landon, (Y), 6 ft., 2 in.; tie for second between W. B. Hampton, (Penn), and C. E. Johnson, (Mich), 6 ft., 1 in.; tie for fourth between J. A. Ramsay, (Cor), and C. G. Krogness, (H), 5 ft., 9 in.

Running broad-jump. -- Won by C. E. Johnson, (Mich), 23 ft., 10 1-2 in; second, R. Le Gendre, (G), 22 ft., 10 7-8 in.; third, H. C. Flower, (H), 22 ft., 8 3-4 in.; fourth, S. G. Sanders, (Penn), 22 ft., 5 1-4 in.; fifth, F. S. Davis, (Penn), 22 ft., 1 in.

Pole-vault.--Won by E. E. Myers, (D), 12 ft., 6 in.; second, W. I. Newstetter, (Penn), 12 ft., 3 in.; tie or third among R. W. Harwood, (H), S. G. Sanders, (Penn), J. Brickley, (R), and D. F. Parker, (Y), 12 ft.

Putting 16-pound shot.--Won by W. H. Allen, (Me), 44 ft., 6 1-8 in.; second, J., M. Braden, (Y), 43 ft., 5 1-8 in.; third, J. L. Baker, (Mich), 43 ft., 5 in.; fourth, C. A. Clark, Jr., (H), 41 ft., 3-8 in.; fifth, C. C. Smith, (Mich), 40 ft., 5 1-8 in.

Throwing 16-pound hammer.--Won by L. F. Weld, (D), 143 ft., 2 3-4 in.; second, C. G. Dandrow, (M. I. T.), 137 ft., 5 in.; third, J. T. Murphy, (D), 137 ft.; fourth, C. C. Smith, (Mich), 133 ft., 5 1-4 in.; fifth, A. Stevens. (H), 132 ft., 3 1-4 in