DEMAND FOR TEACHERS GREAT

VARIED OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE POSITIONS IN THE FAR EAST

A marked preponderance of requests for teachers in English, Romance Languages, and Mathematics is being received by the University Appointment Office, with Latin and the Sciences next in order. According to present figures, the following number of positions are open in the various subjects called for: English, 41; Romance languages, 39; Mathematics, 23; Latin, either alone, or in combination with Greek, 14; Chemistry, 13; Physics, 10; Biology, 10; Economics, 9; Dramatics, Public Speaking, Debating, or Journalism, 6; Latin, in combination with modern languages and other subjects, 4; German, or French with German, 3.

There are many other positions of a general or an unusual nature, such as: social service; Industrial experts; vocational experts; army service men; technical teachers in the educational service, requiring a knowledge of carpentry, cabinet-making, auto mechanics, printing, shoe-making, or drafting.

Positions in the Far East.

An increased demand is being met with by the Appointment Office for men to teach in the Far East, and the need has never been so urgent as it is now. Word has been received of several positions which are open. Five men are needed as teachers in the Canton Christian College (China), with Business Administration and English as subjects. O. E. Pomroy '05, 61 Sparks street, Cambridge is in charge of securing these men.

There is a vacancy is Tsing Hua College, Pekin, in the department of French. An opportunity is also offered to teach English in a college in Japan. The name of the institution in this instance is withheld on request, but will be furnished at the Appointment Office. A number of positions are open as well on the staff of the Syrian Protestant College at Beirut, a non-sectarian organization. The following five calls have been received from the Fukien Union University; teacher of Botany, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, General Physics, Electrical Physics. The teaching would be done in English. In view of the payment of all traveling expenses in each of the Far East positions, the period of service would be from two to three years.

Co-operate With Harvard Clubs

The Appointment Office is co-operating in every way possible with the various Harvard Clubs throughout the country, and particularly with the Harvard Club of Boston, in an attempt to place members of graduates of the University in suitable positions. Those who have recently been discharged from the service and wish positions, are receiving especial aid. Further information may be secured at 11 University Hall between the hours of 10 and 1 daily.