REACTION AGAINST PATRIOTISM.

Another great factor of the industrial world has been unpatriotic enough, in this most critical stage of reconstruction, to curtail the production of a national essential. In answer to Mr. Wilson's plea for the postponement of their strike until after the labor conference at Washington October 6, the steel workers state: "My president, delay is no longer possible. . . . We fully understand the hardships that will follow, and the reign of terror that unfair employers will institute. The burden falls upon the men, but the great responsibility therefor rests upon the other side." The strikers make no attempt at an adequate explanation of why delay is impossible. Nor do they take into account when they say the burden falls upon themselves, how heavy will be that borne by the whole country.

All the strikes of the last few months have been in the form of a reaction against the spirit of patriotism and selfsacrifice prevalent during the war. Organized groups of employers and employees have been trying to get as much as possible while the "grabbing is good." As a result, the production of manufactured articles has been lessened at the time when practically no imports are being received from Europe. Consequently the cost of living has soared.

Why should the spirit of patriotism, so nobly upheld in war, be cast aside when the external danger threatening the nation ceases? True it is that Mr. Gary and his associates of the United States Steel Company have not been tactful in dealing with the demands of the organized steel workers. But that is hardly reason enough for the latter to strike, especially when asked to delay action by the President of the United States. Until some satisfactory arrangement can be made some of our leading statesmen tell us that there will be no peace in the world until every nation gives up a part of its sovereignty to the cause of all. Perhaps it would be wiser for them to apply this idea of self-sacrifice to the common good to the action of individuals in order to insure domestic peace - a far more immediate question.