The Harvard Union

1919-1920

The Union has been taken over directly by the College, and will be run by the College as a club for the University--a kind of junior Harvard Club; embodying, in many particulars, the organization as well as certain features of the Harvard Club of Boston. In the summer months the building has been thoroughly cleaned and painted, extensive repairs made, and its equipment modernized.

Membership

The membership fee will be five dollars ($5.00) a year, having been reduced from ten dollars ($10.00) by the College authorities in order to make its use within the means of all members of the University. Application blanks may be obtained at the desk in the Union.

Restaurant

One of the chief attractions will be the restaurant, which will be entirely under the Union management, with its own steward, chef and staff. Good food, well cooked and attractively served, is the aim. Here there will be a dining room where undergraduates will care to bring their guests and relatives who come to Cambridge instead of being obliged to take them into Boston. Board will be $9.50 per week, members of the Union being allowed to "sign on." Individual meals will be served at the following rates: Breakfast 45 cents, Luncheon 65 cents, and Dinner $1.00.

Lectures

Lecturers of national and international prominence will be invited to the Union during the winter months. No man who has a message of interest to Harvard will be overlooked. It has been remarked that, of late years, many prominent men have spoken at Yale and other colleges, and have not come to Harvard. By reestablishing the Union as a center for lectures and entertainers of note, this fault, it is hoped, can be remedied. A complete schedule of entertainments is now being worked upon.

Pool and Billiards

The six pool and three billiard tables have been overhauled during the summer. New cloth, cushions, cues, and pool and billiard balls have been furnished. More adequate lighting fixtures have been installed. The room will be under the supervision of Mr. Ben Laurie, a billiard expert of Boston, who not only will keep the tables and equipment in good condition, but will be glad to give lessons or instruction to those members who desire to avail themselves of this opportunity.

Library

On the second floor an excellent library of several thousand volumes will provide the members with a quiet spot for general reading or studying. The library will be brought up to date by the acquisition of new books from time to time, and will be maintained under the direction of a library committee, comprised of several members of the faculty.

In addition to the living rooms and card rooms, the Union also has rooms where organizations may hold their meeting and give banquets and dinners. A modern barber shop and a well-stocked cigar counter are further provided for the convenience of the members.

The Union will be open to all members of the University until the fourth of October. After that date, only those who have signed membership blanks and have been passed by the Governing Board as members will be allowed the privileges of the club house.

Additional information may be obtained from the Graduate Manager at his office in the Union.