LONGEST PRACTICE YESTERDAY

FIRST TEAM GAINS CONSISTENTLY HUMPHREY, HORWEEN AND NELSON STAR.

Both the University and second squads went through the longest practice session of the year yesterday afternoon, which culminated in a hard scrimmage between the two squads. While the seconds took a thorough drilling under Coach Knox and his assistants on their own field, Coach Fisher saw to it that the University players had their full share of work.

For the first forty minutes of the afternoon the backfield men were groomed on interference by Coach Gardner, while W. B. Snow '18 showed the linesmen how to use their hands in breaking through and warding off opponents.

Practice Receiving Kick-Offs.

There followed a half-hour of kicking and receiving punts by the backs, the ends going down under the kicks. Each of the first three teams then had a turn at receiving kick-offs and carrying the ball back. The scrimmage was called at 5 o'clock when the black-jerseyed squad trotted onto the Stadium gridiron. The University team showed to better advantage than it has hitherto and made long gains through the seconds at will. C. A. Clark, Jr., Occ., scrimmaged for the first time.

Humphrey Scores Touchdown.

The first score made by the University eleven was when R. S. Humphrey '21 at quarterback caught a punt and carried the ball back fifty yards-for a touchdown. Soon after R. Horween Occ. drop-kicked a ball from the twenty yard line. N. V. Nelson Occ made the final score by a touchdown on a line plunge. The ball was almost continually in the scrubs' territory during the play.

Team A of the University squad lined up as follows: ends, M. Phinney Occ. and E. D. Weatherhead '22; tackles, W. D. Hubbard '22 and R. K. Kane '22; guards, C. A. Clark, Jr., Occ. and T. S. Woods '20; centre, P. J. Philbin '20; quarter-back, W. J. Murray Occ.; backs, E. L. Casey Occ., R. Horween Occ., and N. V. Nelson Occ.