SHOULD SACRIFICE ARTICLE X ONLY IF TREATY DEMANDS

WALSH LETTER MISQUOTED

President Lowell when questioned in regard to an article in a Boston paper concerning his letter to Senator Walsh issued the statement given below. The article in question stated that President Lowell had written to Senator Walsh declaring that Article 10 of the League of Nations Covenant should be stricken out bodily, but if that could not be done, the Lodge Reservations should be accepted. President Lowell replied as follows:

"I have never thought or spoken of Article 10 as the "heart of the Treaty; the advice contained in the somewhat personal letter to Senator Walsh was not that the Article should be stricken out of the Treaty, but that there were objections to it of such a character that 'it would seem to be a mistake for the Democrats to stand too firmly against a reservation on Article 10.'

Attitude Unchanged.

"I have never changed my attitude, which is that the Treaty should be ratified with such reservations as are necessary to secure the required two-thirds vote. The differences now existing between the President and the majority of Republicans are far less important than the immediate ratification of the Treaty. The statements in the foreign press seem to imply that foreign government would accept the reservations for the sake of having the United States an immediate party to the Treaty.

Postponement Unfortunate.

"A postponement would be most unfortunate, because the result of the presidential election cannot be a real expression of opinion on what reservations, if any, the people want; for any candidate who declares for ratification of the Treaty with any set of reservations will obtain the votes of the members of his party who desire ratification at all, the great bulk of the public caring far more about ratification than about the particular reservations attached thereto. I also believe delay most unfortunate, because until the Treaty is ratified unrest, whether in Europe or in this country, cannot subside, the world cannot return to a normal condition, and the problems of peaceful readjustment cannot be solved."