For a Treaty Landslide.

Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Following are some of the most important reasons why a landslide in favor of immediate ratification of the Treaty and Covenant should result from the straw vote on Tuesday:

The Covenant is largely and essential-ally an American document. First, America led the way in the creation of the League. As Dean Haskins said recently in Sanders Theatre, we should ratify promptly in order to "save our self-respect." Very concrete evidence is at hand to show that the Covenant is essentially American. Article X is practically a verbal reproduction of President Wilson's fourteenth point. This Article has been called one "heart" of the Covenant.

Second, President Lowell believes that the thing has another heart--that is, Article XVI. In his letter to Senator Walsh he says that he introduced into the program of the League to Enforce Peace the third provision relating to economic and military sanctions, the teeth of the League. When the Commission on the creation of a Covenant for a League called for the programs of the League of Nations organizations of the various nations the program of the League to Enforce Peace figured very strongly and its essential features were incorporated into the document, Article XVI being part of the fifth plank of the Victory Program of Nov. 23, 1918.

Third, A verbatim reproduction of Senator Root's definition (see first point in his letter to Mr. Hays, March 29, 1919) of a justiciable question or as it is put in Article XIII, paragraph 2, of the Covenant a question "generally suitable for arbitration," appears in the documents.

Fourth, The validity of our Monroe Doctrine is for the first time since 1823 recognized in an international treaty.

Fifth, At our insistence the withdrawal clause and the clause reserving domestic questions from the jurisdiction of the League were put into the Covenant.

A more general reason why we should vote for immediate ratification is this: War is made (by XII, I) an illegal process in any case if begun before a cooling-off period of three months has elapsed. Three months is, however, the very shortest period and and it presupposes that the Council reports a day or two after assuming jurisdiction of the critical dispute. But the Council is not obliged to report for six months and it certainly will take advantage of this longer period. The delay period of nine months will always be taken advantage of by the Council if the dispute is of an acute nature.

Finally, The League is a real instrument of international law which by the preamble is made "the actual rule of conduct among Governments." J. EUGENE HARLEY 3G.