APPOINT TWO WESTERN MEN NEW BUSINESS LECTURERS

Callan, Wisconsin Mechanical Engineer, and Burchell, Both Badgers, Selected.

John G. Callan, Chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin, who is now on leave of absence, and Durward E. Burchell, of the New York firm of Burchell, Clark and Logan, have been appointed lecturers at the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration for the balance of the current academic year.

Mr. Callan, who will serve as lecturer in factory management, is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the class of 1896. From 1896 to 1909 he was connected with the General Electric Company in various capacities, spending much of his time in experimental work and in the study of turbines. From 1909 to 1915 he was with Arthur D. Little, Inc., where he undertook a wide variety of work as a mechanical and electrical engineer.

Consulted as Factory Manager.

Since 1915 Mr. Callan has been Professor of Steam and Gas Engineering and Chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin. His teaching has been largely in the business side of engineering. He has also done much consulting work in the field of factory management. Professor Callan adds to the staff of the Business School the point of view of a business engineer.

Mr. Burchell was formerly Professor of Business Administration at Wisconsin and lecturer at Columbia, but in recent years he has been engaged on industrial organization and accounting problems. At Harvard he will be lecturer on cost accounting and on office organization.