LACROSSE GIVEN IMPETUS AT MEETING IN NEW YORK

Intercollegiate Lacrosse League Meeting Attended by 9 Members--Syracuse and Rutgers Admitted.

The extension of lacrosse to institutions where, up to the present, it has not been played as an intercollegiate or recognized sport was given great impetus at the fifteenth annual meeting of the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse League, which was held recently in New York. The meeting was attended by representatives of the following members of the League: Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Pennsylvania, Stevens, Lehigh, Swarthmore, Hobart and Johns Hopkins.

One of the most important actions taken was the admittance of Syracuse and Rutgers to the League. Efforts are now being made to see if the game cannot be started at West Point and a motion was adopted to encourage its adoption in the high and private schools of the East. Princeton, too, is to be urged to put a team in the field and it is believed that next year the Tigers will be represented in the League.

Although lacrosse is not yet included on the list of sports which will take place in the Olympic games at Antwerp this year, the intercollegiate League intends to use its influence to place it there if possible. A committee consisting of Roy Taylor, J. T. McGovern, and Cyrus C. Miller, was appointed to take the matter up with the American Olympic Committee. The ancient American Indian game has long been Canada's most distinctive field game, and in England where it is likewise popular, no opposition is expected if the American Committee decides to introduce the sport on the Olympic program.

Possible Change of Rules Suggested.

Possible changes in the rules of the game came up for considerable discussion at the meeting. Among the proposals was one to change the length of the halves from thirty-five to thirty minutes, and to divide the game into quarters. There was also discussion as to the advisability of having another referee on the field and of changing the regulations regarding the field limits. Decision in these matters was left to a rules committee.

League Redivided.

A redivision of the League was made so that the Northern Division will include the University, Yale, Hobart, Cornell, and Syracuse, while the Southern Division now comprises Pennsylvania, Swarthmore, Lehigh, Johns Hopkins, and Stevens. Each division will play its own schedule, and the winners will come together for the intercollegiate championship.

The Hermann Oelrichs Cup, the first intercollegiate lacrosse trophy to be contested for in lacrosse in this country, and which has for some years been in the custody of the Crescent A. C., will again be offered as the prize to the intercollegiate champion and will become the permanent possession of any college winning it three years in succession.