H. J. WALKER WINNER OF TOPIARIAN CLUB TROPHY

G. F. Ingalls and T. B. Augur Runners-up in Landscape Architecture Competition.

First place in the Annual Competition for the Topiarian Club Trophy, open to students in the School of Landscape Architecture, has been awarded to Hale Junius Walker 3G.L.A., of Carthage, Ill., President of the Topiarian Club. Second and third places have been given to George French Ingalls 2G.L.A., of Waukegan, Ill., and Tracy Baldwin Augur 1G.L.A., of Brooklyn, N. Y., respectively. Mentions were awarded to William Richard Sears 3G.L.A., of Woburn and Harvey Hiram Cornell 2G.L.A., of Los Angeles, Calif.

The 15 drawings submitted were judged yesterday afternoon by a jury consisting of Professor J. S. Pray '95, Professor H. V. Hubbard '97, and Mr. Arthur A. Shurtleff '96, of Boston.

The competition was a problem in landscape design. The competitors were furnished with topographic maps of a given piece of property in a region of country estates which a landscape architect was supposed to have purchased for his own residence and for his office. The plans submitted were to include a small formal garden, pleasant informal treatment of the rest of the grounds, for convenience in use, a recreation ground for employees, and examples of interesting landscape compositions, in general pleasantly to impress visiting clients.

The trophy was given to the Topiarian Club in 1912 by an unknown donor and is competed for annually. The winner has his name inscribed on the trophy, of which he has custody until the next competition. An exhibition of the competition drawings will be held in the Library of the School of Landscape Architecture from January 21 to 31.